Freitag, 4. Juli 2014

Portrait: Cherry Manga

When you follow the "Hyperzette" you know that I spend a lot of time in the Franco Grid. Especially when it comes to art the Franco Grid is always a good address. Among a few other extraordinery artists you will often read the name "Cherry Manga".
Cherry was involved in the building of the region Accueil Francogrid, she played a big role in the Fest' Avi 2014 in Franco Grid and her installations are to be seen on the regions "Levillage" and "Terra Mater".
The "Hyperzette" had the opportunity to ask Cherry a few question to get to know more about this fantastic artist.

Hyperzette:
When did it all begin for you in virtual environments and what was the first grid you started ?

Cherry:
Second Life is my very first experience in virtual worlds, I joined it in 2007, not knowing at all what it was about.


Hyperzette:
You are a builder but predominantly a visual virtual artist. Are you an artist in real life as well and if so in what genre, like sculptor or painter or....?


Cherry:
I used to draw, paint and clay sculpt a lot just for myself, not professionally. But having my first computer changed everything, I started to make digital paintings and the big revolution was while discovering Second Life and 3D modeling. It became and still is my favorite way of expression.

Hyperzette:
Is your art to be seen in real life exhibitions ?

Cherry:
So far I am shy to show my work in real, maybe because of humility... But i participated in the virtual background of Alain Behar's  ATE piece of theater so a region I created for this work was displayed on the scene. Next year, I'll be in an artist residence in Dakar with Gawlab collective.


Hyperzette:
Back to the virtual worlds. Are you active in other grids too, beside FrancoGrid ?


Cherry:
Still on Second Life, I own "Mysterious Wave" with Anley Piers and we make installations there, the actual one is Faith. I have accounts in OS, Metropolis and Craft, and if a project welcomes me it will be with pleasure.

Hyperzette:
Visiting your regions the whole region is an art installation but you also design fantasy clothing. What do you like more ?


Cherry:
Clothing, furnishing, gardening is something I do occasionally,  it is more interesting to me to create an atmosphere, an immersive world.

Hyperzette:
What kind of building technics do you use prims, sculpts, meshes or a mixture of all ?



Cherry:
All of them! There is not long time ago I started to learn mesh modeling in Blender, and it is the most interesting way for me to create, I can create what I have in mind exactly. But for obvious reasons such as land impact in Second Life I rather use sculpts when needed. Basic prims are and always be helpful, everyone needs a good cylinder or cube :)


Hyperzette:
Some of the objects I have seen are scripted, do you script, too ?


Cherry:
Absolutely not, I am able to modify existing scripts but it's not my cup of tea.

Hyperzette:
Where and/or how do you get the ideas for your work ?


Cherry:
Most time the inspiration comes from a sensation, a feeling, a thought... The created worlds  come from my own universe, my fears, my strengths, my sensibility.  These days I am experimenting a storm like ocean, it came alive a day I was very angry... I like the idea of the visitors to have their own approach, I don't chew explanations for them and I prefer them to feel by themselves.

Hyperzette:
As I said before, your regions are exhibitions already but would you do some artwork in virtual exhibition halls as well, like exhibit parts of your already existing installations somewhere else ?


Cherry:
I made this for years and I became more exigent. I refuse now "4 walls" gallery exhibitions that I find totally annoying in a space where we can build without reality constraints. I accept thankfully exhibitions where I can feel free.


Hyperzette:
Do you combine your virtual artwork with real art like playing a machinima of your virtual imaginations in a real exhibition ?


Cherry:
I just printed some builds I care about and they are framed at home :) As said previously I am really shy to jump into art universe by myself, friends push me, that's why I'll may be more implicated in RL in the future.

Hyperzette:
Do your installations transmit messages to your audience ?


Cherry:
I heard so many times from visitors, bloggers "Do you have any notecard about this work?" And the answer is no, each person will feel the installation with its own perception, of course there are intentions placed in the works, the game is that some will see it others will see something else I never made... :) I can answer questions though.


Hyperzette:
Any plans for the future ?


Cherry:
Time will tell, I never stay without a project long.

Thank you Cherry for this interview

Cherry Manga
For the Hyperzette: zaphod Enoch

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen